Happy February! If you’ve been following along with my journey for a few months now, then you’re familiar with my posts about “monthly intentions” on Instagram. I decided that I wanted to expound on what intention setting does for me, what my intentions for the month mean, and a recap at the end of each month!
why this practice is important to me…
I first wrote about my experiences with setting regular intentions in a previous blog post here and how it helped me build my own wellness practice. And over time, I realized that this particular practice helped me move through the month at an intentional pace. Looking back on the months I did set intentions, it seemed that I lived each day fully and that month didn’t “fly by.” But when I didn’t take time to set them up, it didn’t seem that I could recall what went down in that specific month. I was also distracted and stressed those times because I couldn’t identify a real purpose in my day to day activities.
here are some ways how setting intentions can be helpful:
- mindful reminders
- clarity and purpose
- motivation and excitement around my goals
- introspection as to what I want to achieve in 30ish days
So here are my intentions for this month, why I chose them, and what they mean to me!
- In January, I felt POWERFUL with the new year and new month! I was ready to take 2018 by storm and do what I needed to be successful in all avenues of my life. But towards the end of January, I let myself get sucked into Netflix and binged watched the last 2 seasons of a series I needed to catch up on. And when I mean binge, I mean BINGE. I was watching that show on breaks, during breakfast, and staying up late. And the only reason I was watching it so much was to just finish it!
- Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time, place, and amount of time to binge watch a show. I think that it can provide some relief and entertainment obviously. I grew up watching a lot of television and have a reputation for staying on the couch all day to watch a show. But it wasn’t until this experience where I realized that is not how I want to spend hours of my life. I was fixated on this series so much that I didn’t give my brain any time to focus on other things, ie: blogging, connecting, and caring for myself.
- And because I lost focus, I also lost my motivation to pursue some big goals that I’m committed to this year. But not to fear! This month is all about getting back on track.
- My plan is schedule out tasks and activities ahead of time so I know where I can spend extra time. This plan works for me as I’m easily distracted and lured to the couch during unscheduled time.
- Another piece of the plan is to get out of the house. I recently started saving a significant amount of money to take a gap year and travel the world next year (more on this later!). That being said, I’ve let that keep me in the house more than usual so that I’m not tempted to spend money on things like coffee, matcha, smoothies, juices, etc. I’m still learning that it’s “okay” to go to a coffee shop and not order coffee…that’s pretty hard for me to type out actually (anyone else feel guilty about doing that?).
Finish reading my January book…
- I set a goal to read a book a month this year and I’m already behind!
- I want to keep this up for the year to support my “Word of the Year” which is growth. I want to keep learning and educating myself and I believe this is a great way to do so.
Show more compassion and patience in my relationship
- When I’m not mindful about responses towards my boyfriend, I become a mean and snarky human who I don’t like to become. And I’ve shown up that way more recently, probably because my eyes were glued to Netflix for about 2 weeks watching that show.
- I think if I approach those reactive conversations with more compassion, I’ll have more patience through the discussion and won’t feel the need to snap out of anger.
- One of my friends gave me the best relationship advice: “be kind to each other” and it’s stuck with me ever since.
Regular hang time with those who know me best
- Recently, I took a personality quiz that lended itself to say my particular personality type tends to have lots of friends, but few good friends. That really stuck with me and I started to review my friendships…and it started to seem true.
- And if I learned anything, I realized that I haven’t put enough time and energy into those “good friends” who I’ve known and who have known me for years.
- This also means being in the practice of vulnerability. When you lose touch with someone, it takes time to build up the friendship to what it was, but it can get there quicker by being vulnerable. For some reason, I’ve buttoned up my life lately. Even when I think of a something vulnerable to share, I question if it really is or not. For some people, including myself, vulnerability expresses itself through negative experiences instead of positive. So when I don’t have any life-altering negative experiences
- This one is a year long intention for me so it’ll be a focus every month for me.
Explore new places and do something new as part of my self-care routine
- This past Sunday, my boyfriend and I had an impromptu date day and walked through our local art museum and spent an hour-ish at the park. No phones, just us experiencing our city. We’ve both been to these places before, a few times to say the least, but it’s nice to go somewhere outside of the routine.
- I left feeling so refreshed! I told him before bed that it was my favorite part of the day; because it was! I can’t wait to go somewhere “new” again every week as part of my self-care practice.
And to learn something new
- and to learn it through unfamiliar media outlets such as podcasts, articles, etc.
- I’m not a podcast person, I don’t read informative articles, but I’m on the mission to change that!
- I started listening to NPR last year after my trip to Germany because I wanted to feel more connected to the world. And it’s truly brought joy to my life as silly as that is. So I’m using the TED app and have a list of podcasts to listen to continue learning new things.
- If you have a favorite podcast, favorite TED talk, or news outlet that keeps you informed then please leave a comment below!
Those are my intentions for this month! Like I said, I’ll write a recap at the end of the month to see where I am after living out my intentions. Do you set regular intentions? What are you choosing to work on this week?